You are not connected. Please login or register

How you got started

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How you got started on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 pm

HAIRDO


New Member
This topic is about how you got started playing Yu-Gi-Oh

My Story-

Back in 2001 I watched the Original series on CW I think so by Christmas season I had asked for a GameBoy Advance video game called Eternal Duelist Soul . I had planned on starting playing it on the 26th but ended up opening and playing it around 11:50 pm . The following Spring they came out with the first 2 starter decks Kiaba and Yugi , I ended up using the best of both for my first real world deck.

2 Re: How you got started on Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 am

t3st3rd3ck

avatar
Administrator
I started by watching the show and thinking it was cool, so about the time Joey was trapped in a cave and fighting that kid with the zombie deck, I started learning the rules of the game and bought my first starter decks and etc.

I REALLY love/loved strategy games, so I really got into duel monsters. For those of us in middle school when it came out it was a nice little corner of nerdom that could escape from most of the pre-adolescent BS of that age group. I didn't worry about petty stuff when I played, I could just lose myself in this game. When I quit dueling I transferred this same mentality to chess.

I was never very good, i had my own strategy and eventually played a pretty decent beatdown and 1 sack for power cards deck (jinzo and summoned skull) but never was great. This was a lot to do with the fact that my family never had much money, so I didn't own a lot of cards. I made due with what I had.

Most of my good cards were won from games (when battle city was on TV, gambling was all the rage) I eventually quit because dueling for cards became too stressful and I got mad when someone would back out of a deal (I always gave up my cards when I lost).

This is one of the reasons I'm so adamant that dueling should be for fun and you should always respect your opponent. I quit for 10 years. I came back to find synchros, xyz's and those lovable hero fusions. Though still very broken (mostly through introduction and continued support of new sets) I feel a lot of players don't appreciate how balanced the game is these days compared to it's origins. Anybody else remember snatch steal?



3 Re: How you got started on Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Allenby

avatar
New Member
t3st3rd3ck wrote:Anybody else remember snatch steal?
I do. I also recall when Magic Cards turned into Spell Cards. Razz

= === =
I first saw the english dub version. Thought it was kewl then. And at that time I was playing Pokemon and Magic The Gathering. Tried out YGO card game when the first Kaiba & Yugi decks were out, and LOB was around then too. Only decks I recall being able to make is dragon beatdown with Lord of D with Flute, Blue Eyes, Tri-horned Dragon, etc. Which I started with. I got crazy when I pulled a holo Time Wizard from MRD pack, and took it to a tourny and was pretty lucky then. Razz
And after many years style adapted, etc. Razz

Anyone recall Upperdeck owning YGO?

4 Re: How you got started on Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm

t3st3rd3ck

avatar
Administrator
Allenby wrote:
t3st3rd3ck wrote:Anybody else remember snatch steal?
I do. I also recall when Magic Cards turned into Spell Cards. Razz

= === =
I first saw the english dub version. Thought it was kewl then. And at that time I was playing Pokemon and Magic The Gathering. Tried out YGO card game when the first Kaiba & Yugi decks were out, and LOB was around then too. Only decks I recall being able to make is dragon beatdown with Lord of D with Flute, Blue Eyes, Tri-horned Dragon, etc. Which I started with. I got crazy when I pulled a holo Time Wizard from MRD pack, and took it to a tourny and was pretty lucky then. Razz
And after many years style adapted, etc. Razz

Anyone recall Upperdeck owning YGO?

I recall everything you just said, including upperdeck XD. I was a LOB kid too.



5 Re: How you got started on Tue May 14, 2013 11:20 pm

HAIRDO


New Member
Lol I still call them Magic cards

6 Re: How you got started on Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 am

Twio12

avatar
New Member
Every guy in my school was into yugioh so eventually I convinced my parents to get me a starter deck. The shop was sold out of Yugi and Kaiba, so I had to choose from Joey or Pegasus. I decided that Pegasus looked too much like a girl so I chose Joey. Kinda wished I picked Pegasus lol, looking back it was probably the most playable out of all 4.





Sig by Solarfall.


7 Re: How you got started on Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 am

lavaman555

avatar
New Member
I got into yugioh by watching the Shows on tv like sometimes on Saturdays and just having a collection of yugioh cards. I then just took a rest from it and then, not to recently got back into them. I use to have a LOB Ultra Rare Head of Exodia.

8 Re: How you got started on Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 pm

t3st3rd3ck

avatar
Administrator
Twio12 wrote:Every guy in my school was into yugioh so eventually I convinced my parents to get me a starter deck. The shop was sold out of Yugi and Kaiba, so I had to choose from Joey or Pegasus. I decided that Pegasus looked too much like a girl so I chose Joey. Kinda wished I picked Pegasus lol, looking back it was probably the most playable out of all 4.

Toons rocked the old meta, they used to be everywhere. One of my goals is to make a modern, playable, meta beating toon deck. No idea's on the how have come to me yet. And I got the yugi starter. I was really jelous of the kids who bought 3 kaiba decks and made one playable deck while I saved up my pennies for booster packs and improved little by little, but hey, YGO has brought more good to my life then bad. At least my mom bought me a starter deck (my dad thought it was a waste of money, every booster pack bought afterwards was my own money... I remember those kids who brought their parents in and bought boxes and opened them on the counter. Same kids who would bring a fucking scale to the card shop and cheat me out of my holos... wow I guess I'm still bitter.)



9 Re: How you got started on Wed May 15, 2013 7:34 pm

DengakuMan

avatar
Administrator
Very funny story, really.

When I was about 6 or 7, my elementary school had one of those candy bar fundraisers. My grandpa bought about 10 of those candy bars (despite the fact that he was diabetic), and the prize for selling 10 was either a football or a starter deck. He told me to go for the deck. And so it began.

So I guess I owe my gaming to my Papa. I mean, could you have seen me as a football player?



OFFICIAL INFECTED DUELIST DORM HEAD
MEMBER OF THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS DORM WARS TEAM
---------------------------------

Nothing great in this world is meant to stay. R.I.P my cat Mason.

"Think past the old tales. They are but stories created by your forefathers to explain our departure. Kernels of truth exist within them, yes, but buried within a field of deceptions."
-Zeratul

10 Re: How you got started on Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 am

Twio12

avatar
New Member
DengakuMan wrote:Very funny story, really.

When I was about 6 or 7, my elementary school had one of those candy bar fundraisers. My grandpa bought about 10 of those candy bars (despite the fact that he was diabetic), and the prize for selling 10 was either a football or a starter deck. He told me to go for the deck. And so it began.

So I guess I owe my gaming to my Papa. I mean, could you have seen me as a football player?

Hahaha good choice.





Sig by Solarfall.


Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum