Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DengakuMan`s Travel Mini-Journal: Magical wanderings through space, time, card gaming, and Gencon

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DengakuMan

DengakuMan
Administrator

I`d like to take a section to myself, if you don`t mind, just to share my personal adventures I have when I`m not dueling or watching MLP. This is a little column devoted to my wayward wanderings and things I do on my off-time.

I`d like to start with the one thing I cannot do whatsoever: I cannot catch the Ice Cream Man in his truck for the life of me. Well, not by myself.
When I was young, I spent my summers with my dad in Kansas, and he would always get the Ice Cream Truck to wait for me so I could buy something. I remember eating ice cream every day for most of my summer.
And now that I`ve grown older, about 7 years give or take, (I`m not a man yet, mind you, just raised in high society) I cannot catch that thing for the life of me. I wait by the door, literally bursting out the door to catch up to that stupid thing, and watching the 8-9 year-olds walk away with ice cream, not even bothering to let the teenagers have some.
I caught one once, staying on the side of the road. I dug into my wallet, rushed up to him...
Yeah, the guy was out of ice cream. The crap I put up with for a shot at a Choco Taco, huh?

Feel free to comment or share your own experiences, but remember that this is for personal thoughts and musings, NOT for arguments like the Academy ban list thread (Particularly among the CPs).

Hi, I`m DengakuMan and I wrote this musing just for you!

Shadowthehedgehog1

Shadowthehedgehog1

Will you post more in the future?

DengakuMan

DengakuMan
Administrator

Shadowthehedgehog1 wrote:Will you post more in the future?

Of course. As soon as something interesting happens.

Shadowthehedgehog1

Shadowthehedgehog1

Something interesting is always bound to happen. Except with me...

t3st3rd3ck

t3st3rd3ck
Administrator

The icecream man in my neighborhood (pedro) is actually a "friend" of mine, because I always tip him well and we stop to chat a little. He stops his truck when he sees me, even if I'm not buying anything we chat a little.

Never could catch one growing up though. I'm just lucky these days cause he drives through my street at 3 pm on the dot every day. He's a very nice man.

DengakuMan

DengakuMan
Administrator

Do you know the one thing I hate in my life?

-Bullies

-Jerks

-Harlem Shake Videos

-Loud People

-Reality TV

-Horror Movies

-Endless crap about celebrities

Okay, so I hate a LOT of things. But the thing I hate the MOST? AIRPORT COMMUTE. It is the single most despicable thing the world has to offer. What`s NOT to hate about it? The commute, the transport, the train, the godawful security, the people (oh god, the PEOPLE), the plane and the overall hassle and displeasure of the experience make it the most hated thing in the world to me.

First, the ticketing. You have the pleasure to stand behind a crowd of people who don`t know how to get boarding passes online ask an anoying person behind a counter how to validate a pass (or whatever the confused people say). And they are very loud, in the line or at the counter. I don`t CARE what kind of Tuna Salad you had for dinner, fat lady behind me, just let me wait in line to use the ticketing booth. (NOTE: Since learning the art of online boarding passes 4 years ago, I have not had to trifle with this anymore.)

And then, the worst part: That goddam airport security. How I hate it. HatehatehatehateHATE it. I would rather sit through the entire Super Mario movie than put up with it (okay, the movie is worse - HALF of the movie, but only the good parts with Luigi shooting things). If I had to pick a part to hate the most, it would be this.

Let`s start with the secruity line. This thing goes on FOREVER, like a long, noodly snake of people. Every single person, of course, decides to talk in this line. As a hater of loud noises, this endless snake of jibber-jabber (complete with more fat ladies talking about their Tuna Salad) is EXTREMELY annyoing.

And the security. The person who always wants to see your boarding pass but calls you "Sweetie" and uses terms like "Okey-Dokey" because you look young (you`re NOT Mother Maye-Eye, and you sure as hell don`t have any hypnotic pie, so you have no right to say that). The person who always reminds you where to put your backpack, shoes and jacket despite the fact that you already were. The guy who tells you to leave the Expert Traveller lane to go to the Family lane because "You gotta be an expert traveller to go there, buddy" (despite the fact that you put up with this twice a month and deserve to have this unpleasant experience go by a little faster). The parents in the family lane who never taught their kids to be polite, pushing, shoving and screaming. The list goes on and on.

And that stupid new security machine. Empty your pockets, remove all necklaces, watches, etc. from yourself, and step into a machine that allows people to see a virtual image of you naked. Joy. They once decided my late Papa had to be sent to screening because he had a metal object he did not want to take off that kept us there for 30 minutes while the officer tried to force him to take off the metal (his PACEMAKER). I don`t find fault with the security`s ways to stop terror plots before they start, but I wish the entire thing would be a little easier on us.

And the train. What else can I say? Take a magical ride through Choo-Choo Tunnels and listen to kids whine and moan that they can`t sit down, and fat ladies (possibly the same Tuna-consuming ones from before) decide to plop down on the spots reserved for the handicapped! "Being Fat" is not exactly a handicap that requires you to sit on board the airline train. If anything, you NEED the exercise (what little there is) from standing up and swaying on the train.

The plane is fairly self-explanatory, but I`ll speak of that devil later. Specifically, in the next post, since my fingers are hurting.

Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned that Airport Security is a decent blog topic. Your faithful student, DengakuMan.

DengakuMan

DengakuMan
Administrator

Nobody`s replied, so I may as well post another thing.

I recently had the chance to see what life as a typical adult is like on Friday Nights when I was asked to participate in Bar Trivia with my father and his friends. I had never played a trivia game (accidentaly fussing with the trivia machine at a sports bar when i was 7 doesn`t count) and was interested on how it would turn out.

I went to the place and sat down with my dad and his friends. We ordered a plate of garlic knots (I`m allergic to garlic, despite my Italian heritage) and all got beers for the table (and a Coke). I pointed out that it was ironic that they were drinking beer before a game that requires you to use your brain, but that really didn`t seem to get laughs.

So after a discussion (actually, the friend and his wife had the discussion- he gets extra credit for being the only one at the table with a girl), we decided to name our team The Loyal Opposition. We then proceeded to answer questions correctly in the spirit of opposition: not very often. Sure, we got a lot wrong, but we drowned that out with copious quantities of beer and/or soda (I did NOT drink any of the beer).

Things weren`t looking so bad, actually: some team called He Beat Me (lolwut?) was in the lead, followed by other odd team names: Clown Baby, Roaring Rockets, and (my personal favorite) The Brown-Backer-Old-Schooler-Glory-Holers. We got down to the final 3 questions, and were delighted to hear the categories: History, Medicine, and Video Games.

To explain this, let me display for you the occupations of people at the table:

-Licensed ER Doctor,

-History Buff,

-Token Female,

-Video-Game Playing Brony/Vet in training (Moi)

Actually, the questions were so easy we didnt need to use our supreme skills on the topic: Even I know that a nephrologist studies kidneys, and the boston tea party people were dresses as indians.

The video game question came as a guaranteed 9 points. Seriously, I`m sure everyone here an get it:

"What game series were the games Twilight Princess and Majora`s Mask from?"

Yeah, it`s freaking Zelda. OK, I cans ee what they were trying to do. But if you want to screw everyone, dont say the names of 2 of my favorite games ever.

So in the end, yeah, we lost, but we had fun. Actually, since I`m with my old man for the summer, I guess now I`m officially part of the team for a bit.

And as soon as the final 100-point question is, "Name the 6 Elements of Harmony from MLP", I got this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum