Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guilty pleasures

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guilty pleasures Empty Guilty pleasures Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

t3st3rd3ck

t3st3rd3ck
Administrator

Something that you love but feel the need to justify liking.

Mines Beyblade and Medabots.

Beyblade (the original 3 seasons, I didn't much care for V-force as an adult tho) is one of my all time favorites. A kids anime about spinning tops is actually a martial arts drama in disguise. The stylized play of all the players is clear both in animation and story. Even though the science in the show is never explained you get a very intuitive sense for how the game is played, and more importantly, how each player plays the game.

Medabots is one of those executive suits saying "Copy the pokemon format" animes. A world where children battle with self aware robots, ancient robot civilizations, and a league and world championship structure. Sounds straight forward, but whats great/embarrassing about medabots is it seems so self aware of how goofy it is, so over the top you can't help but laugh. Team Rocket is parodied by "The Ruber Robo Gang" a bunch of freaks in BDSM gear who aren't even aware who their leader is. They're so whacky one of their evil plans is remodeling houses to look like flowers and dogs... because that's somehow evil. It's filled with subtle jokes about this type of anime and can be very meta while keeping enough of a narrative to be called sequential. Season 3 had a more serious narrative, but it gains points for having one of the creepiest child villains ever with a voice to match. I've only seen dubbed which I think was modified it to a "lamer/funnier" show.

Two gems if you have a thing for campy humor and DBZ tournament structure for shows. Do you have any guilty pleasure animation?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum