Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Guide to the Suppressor Dragons

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Guide to the Suppressor Dragons Empty A Guide to the Suppressor Dragons Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 am

ParallelNebulae

ParallelNebulae

Long ago, in the distant past of 2013, Konami released an expansion called Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy.  Most people noticed immediately the new Harpie cards, the Mecha Phantom Beasts, and then later the Burning Knucklers. But another archetype dwelt within those cards - the Suppressor Dragons! Translated by DN's team to the less impressive "Elemental Dragons" (though, to be fair, I DO like DN's epithets better; Cascade has a better ring to it than Waterfall), this archetype arrived on DN only a few weeks before the writing of this guide. However, I had been playing it on YGOPro for months, and formulating strategies since the day they were revealed. It's no secret that this is one of my favorite decks, and now, I hope to share this with you.

~SECTION I - THE TYRANTS~

This guide will begin by mentioning the original four Suppressors, released in the OCG in Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy. They make up the heart of the pure build, and are the more splashable of the Suppressors.

Blaster, Elemental Dragon of Calderas
FIRE/Level 7/Dragon/Effect/2800 ATK/1800 DEF
You can banish 2 other monsters that are FIRE and/or Dragon-Type from your hand and/or Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 other FIRE monster to the Graveyard to target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 FIRE Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Blaster, Elemental Dragon of Calderas" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Blaster is very good. Holding the highest attack of all of the Suppressors, (Yes, I will continue to refer to them as Suppressors while still using the DN translations. Deal with it.) Blaster is clearly a good beater, able to get over most threats in today's metagame. Further, its destruction attack allows you to get over such PAINS to this deck as Necrovalley, Imperial Iron Wall, and Kristya. Possibly surprising to newcomers to this deck is that Blaster is likely the EASIEST to fulfill the discard condition for in a pure build, if not tied with Redox. But we'll get to Redox soon enough. Blaster's last effect may not seem useful, but remember, you can always search out another Blaster, or the "baby" form of Blaster, Burner, which will be mentioned later as well.

Redox, Elemental Dragon of Crags
EARTH/Level 7/Dragon/Effect/1600 ATK/3000 DEF
You can banish 2 other monsters that are EARTH and/or Dragon-Type from your hand and/or Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 other EARTH monster to the Graveyard to target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 EARTH Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Redox, Elemental Dragon of Crags" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Redox is BY FAR the most splashable of the Suppressors. It's DEFINITELY not a beater, though it could be a nice wall. While still a valuable asset to a pure build (I usually run 3), it also works well with Heraldics, Koa'ki Meiru, and Karakuri, due to one little thing: its ability to turn another EARTH monster in your hand into Monster Reborn. And, while with Blaster you had just Suppressors to search out, Redox has another target: Montage Dragon. But, as I have said probably too many times already, we'll get to that later.

Tidal, Elemental Dragon of Cascades
WATER/Level 7/Dragon/Effect/2600 ATK/2000 DEF
You can banish 2 other monsters that are WATER and/or Dragon-Type from your hand and/or Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 other WATER monster to the Graveyard; send 1 monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is banished: You can add 1 WATER Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Tidal, Elemental Dragon of Cascades" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Tidal is your other main beater (among the Suppressors, your biggest beater (at least according to my strategies) is something a bit smaller), aside from Blaster. These individual descriptions will likely get shorter, because, as you have likely seen, Suppressors have a pattern in their effects. Tidal's discard turns a WATER into Foolish Burial. Yes, this sets off Atlantean effects. No, I haven't made a Merpressor build yet. I probably should. But I digress. It's very good with other WATER decks, such as Lancer Frogs, Lancer Slushy Frogs, and Lancer Gem-Knights With a Touch of Frogs. I mained Lancer Frogs for a long time. I may be a bit biased. Tidal also shows potential synergy with Gishkis. If someone on here knows a lot about Gishkis, I'd like their opinion on it. But I digress again. Your main search targets are another Tidal and Stream ("baby" Tidal).

Tempest, Elemental Dragon of Cyclones
WIND/Level 7/Dragon/Effect/2400 ATK/2200 DEF
You can banish 2 other monsters that are WIND and/or Dragon-Type from your hand and/or Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 other WIND monster to the Graveyard; Add 1 Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is banished: You can add 1 WIND Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Tempest, Elemental Dragon of Cyclones" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Tempest is less than spectacular compared to the other Suppressors, however it should be very clear that it has AMAZING synergy with Dragunities. You likely won't have many WIND discard targets, aside from perhaps Koa'ki Meiru Drago, until Konami decides to release Tempest's "baby" form. Or even reveal it. Any day now...  Yeah, search Drago or Lightning, depending on if you're going for a bigger play or not. But seriously, running at least 1 Drago as a search target for Tempest when banished is a good idea. Drago annoys SO many popular decks, it's almost sad. Like Redox, it combos well with Heraldics.

~SECTION II - THE SOLDIERS~

Next, are the smaller Suppressors, whose sole purposes in their feeble lives are to search out their larger counterparts. They were released in the OCG in the Promotion Packs.

Burner, Elemental Dragon of Fire
FIRE/Level 3/Dragon/Effect/1000 ATK/200 DEF
You can discard this card and 1 other Dragon-Type or FIRE monster; Special Summon 1 "Blaster, Elemental Dragon of Calderas" from your Deck. It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Burner, Elemental Dragon of Fire" once per turn.

Reactan, Elemental Dragon of Earth
EARTH/Level 4/Dragon/Effect/1800 ATK/1200 DEF
You can discard this card and 1 other Dragon-Type or EARTH monster; Special Summon 1 "Redox, Elemental Dragon of Crags" from your Deck. It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Reactan, Elemental Dragon of Earth" once per turn.

Stream, Elemental Dragon of Water
WATER/Level 4 /Dragon/Effect/1600 ATK/2000 DEF
You can discard this card and 1 other Dragon-Type or WATER monster; Special Summon 1 "Tidal, Elemental Dragon of Cascades" from your Deck. It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Stream, Elemental Dragon of Water" once per turn.

In a pure build, the younger dragons are all useful for accelerating Rank 7 spams and filling the grave with Suppressors. However, two key factors about Blaster, coupled with its Attribute, make it a nice combo piece for hybrid builds. The 200 DEF means that it automatically is an honorary Flamvell/Laval, which means shenanigans with Rekindling, Firedog, and other fun stuff. The Level 3 means that it's a valid target for Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Spirit, facilitating combos with Horse Prince and Lion Emperor. Stream, like Tidal, can be used for triggering Atlanteans' effects, and Reactan can make a nice beater possibly, if you have a bad hand (which, until the banlist comes for us, is unlikely). Lightning can trigger the effect of Gusto Grif, and might have some uses in a Dragunity deck, but like its larger counterpart is still underwhelming.

Lightning, Elemental Dragon of Wind
WIND/Level 3/Dragon/Effect/500 ATK/1800 DEF
You can discard this card and 1 other Dragon-Type or WIND monster; Special Summon 1 "Tempest, Elemental Dragon of Cyclones" from your Deck. It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Lightning, Elemental Dragon of Wind" once per turn.

~SECTION III - THE MERCENARIES~

Every deck has monsters that are used as "tech choices" frequently, and Suppressors are no exception. In the end, though, it all comes down to personal preference, so don't feel like you have to run any of these.

Necroface
DARK/Level 4/Zombie/Effect/1200 ATK/1800 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned, shuffle all removed from play cards into their owners' Decks. This card gains 100 ATK for each of those cards. When this card is removed from play, both players remove from play the top 5 cards of their Deck.

This adorable critter, when used with Gold Sarcophagus, can lead to raging opponents and much card advantage, provided the cards it banishes end up being Level 7 Suppressors. Further, if your deck starts to run thin, or you've run out of a certain Attribute of dragon in your deck, Necro-chan can fix that, too! Suppressors generally don't rely too much on their Normal Summon, so, after (or, perhaps, in preparation FOR) doing your comboing, Necroface can be used to restock the deck.

Montage Dragon
EARTH/Level 8/Dragon/Effect/? ATK/0 DEF
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by sending 3 other monsters from your hand to the Graveyard. This card's ATK is equal to the combined Levels of the sent monsters x 300.

Let's think about this: You have a bunch of Level 7 monsters that can regain card advantage from being in the Graveyard easily. Suppressors EASILY mitigate the costs of summoning this guy, who, in many cases, can OTK, as it will likely end up as 6300 ATK.

Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon
DARK/Level 10/Dragon/2800 ATK/2400 DEF
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up Dragon-Type monster you control. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard, except "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon".

This is a dragon deck. Dr. Red, MD should be an obvious choice. ESPECIALLY due to the Suppressors' ability to replace themselves when banished.

D.D. Sprite
LIGHT/Level 1/Fairy/Tuner/0 ATK/100 DEF
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by removing from play 1 face-up monster you control. If you do, return the removed from play monster to the field during the next Standby Phase.

This is the best tuner to use with Suppressors, hands down. Summon a Suppressor through its smaller counterpart, banish it for Sprite, then summon the second one you searched out by banishing the monsters you discarded to summon the first one. Congratulations, you now have a Level 8 Synchro, without wasting a Normal Summon!

Gren Maju Da Eiza
FIRE/Level 3/Fiend/Effect/? ATK/? DEF
This card's ATK and DEF are each equal to the number of your removed from play cards x 400.

This deck banishes stuff. A LOT. This guy will easily be at least a 2000 ATK beater when you summon it. And, in case of emergencies, it IS a FIRE monster, so it can be used for Blaster's and Burner's costs.

Volcanic Shell
FIRE/Level 1/Pyro/Effect/100 ATK/0 DEF

Reloadable ammo for the Dragons of the Caldera and banish fodder to boot. If you run it, run it at 3.

Dimensional Alchemist
LIGHT/Level 4/Fairy/1300 ATK/200 DEF
Once per turn, you can activate this effect to remove from play the top card of your Deck and give this card 500 ATK until the End Phase. When this card is destroyed and sent from your side of the field to the Graveyard, you can select 1 of your removed from play monsters and return it to your hand.

You get a chance to banish a Suppressor and run over an opponent's monster, not to mention that it's a nice floater that can pick up your used Suppressors.

Guardian Eatos
WIND/Level 8/Fairy/2500 ATK/2000 DEF
If you have no monsters in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can send 1 Equip Spell Card equipped to this card to the Graveyard, then target up to 3 monsters in your opponent's Graveyard; banish those targets, and if you do, this card gains 500 ATK for each monster banished by this effect, until the End Phase.

You likely won't be using her second effect, but a costless 2500 ATK beater that's also discard/banish fodder for Tempest is a pretty good thing. If you run her, include Trade-in.

Koa'ki Meiru Drago
WIND/Level 4/Dragon/Effect/1900 ATK/1600 DEF
During each of your End Phases, destroy this card unless you send 1 "Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru" from your hand to the Graveyard or reveal 1 Dragon-Type monster in your hand. LIGHT and DARK monsters cannot be Special Summoned.

A nice Normal Summonable beatstick that seals off pesky things like Envoy and Gorz, that's also searchable and useable by Tempest. It's pretty useful, and you should probably always have at least one sided, in case of powerful LIGHT and/or DARK decks.
~SECTION IV - THE TOOLS OF WARFARE~

A.k.a. the Spell and Trap section. Obviously, I won't go over universal staples, but a few cards CERTAINLY stand out in this deck.

Burial from a Different Dimension
Quick-Play Spell
Select up to 3 Monster Cards that are removed from play, and return them to their owners' Graveyard.

It's a chainable card to reload your Graveyard. Return 3 different Level 7 Suppressors and you'll get a beater and 2 cards in hand. Very good in my opinion.

Gold Sarcophagus
Normal Spell
Banish 1 card from your Deck, face-up. During your second Standby Phase after this card's activation, add that card to your hand.

Yes, this triggers the effects of the Suppressors AND Necroface. Even if Necroface is banned/in your hand/already banished, it's still able to search out any Suppressor immediately to the hand, as well as netting you another one two turns down the line.

Seven Star Sword
Normal Spell
Banish 1 Level 7 monster that is either in your hand or face-up on your side of the field; draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 "Seven Star Sword" per turn.

This card is made for us. This card is so perfect for this deck. It's Pot of Greed + a deck search. Sure you can only use one per turn, but still, it's amazing.

Return from the Different Dimension
Normal Trap Card
Pay half your Life Points. Special Summon as many of your removed from play monsters as possible. During the End Phase, remove from play all monsters that were Special Summoned by this effect.

Wow. It's Rekindling for us, but with less limits. This card wins games. This card breaks games. When I first saw this card, back all those years ago when it came out and I was still a naive child that thought that Red-Eyes Black Dragon was a good card, I realized that this card was amazing. Run it, unless you don't like Trap Cards, Life Point costs, or time limits for your monsters.

Waking the Dragons
Normal Trap Card
Target 1 of your banished Dragon-Type monsters; add that target to your hand.

I'm going to try to ignore the fact that DN's translators completely disregarded the original name (which translates more accurately to Dragon Fang Reincarnation) in favor of a reference to the 4Kids dub of the anime. This is a nice chainable searcher that works similarly to Gleipnir in a Nordic deck. It's also useful in Chaos Dragons, I guess.

~SECTION V - THE OVERLORDS~

coming soon...

~SECTION VI - PLANS OF COMBAT~

coming soon...

~SECTION VII - BLUEPRINT ARCHIVE~

I am vehemently opposed to card-for-card netdecking. I hate it. I hate hate hate hate hatehatehatehateHATE it. But I am perfectly fine with - and, in fact ENCOURAGE - deck skeletons. What I mean by that is, instead of posting decklists, posting deck guidelines. Here are some Suppressor deck skeletons:

Pure Suppressor Dragon Deck Skeleton

• Tidal, Elemental Dragon of Cascades x2-3
  • Stream, Elemental Dragon of Cascades x1-3 (never more than Tidal)
  • Redox, Elemental Dragon of Crags x3
  • Reactan, Elemental Dragon of Crags x1-3
  • Blaster, Elemental Dragon of Calderas x3
  • Burner, Elemental Dragon of Calderas x1-3 (yes, there IS a pattern here)
  • Tempest, Elemental Dragon of Cyclones x2-3
  • Koa'ki Meiru Dragon x0-2
  • Montage Dragon x0-2
  • Gren Maju Da Eiza x1-2
  • Necroface x1
  • Gold Sarcophagus x2-3
  • Seven Star Sword x3
  • Dragon's Mirror x0-2
  • Burial from a Different Dimension x0-1
  • Return from the Different Dimension x1
  • Waking the Dragons x2-3
  • Whatever Rank 7's tickle your fancy, then fill the rest of the Extra Deck up with Rank 3's and Rank 4's, of course leaving room for Five-Headed Dragon if you use Dragon's Mirror

2A Guide to the Suppressor Dragons Empty Re: A Guide to the Suppressor Dragons Wed May 29, 2013 8:54 pm

t3st3rd3ck

t3st3rd3ck
Administrator

Love your guide, 50 GP to griffondor!

Accounts updated.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum